The Burda afternoon dress: 4/08 #116

Thursday 3 November 2011
Regular readers of Burda magazine know they regularly make outrageous and outlandish claims in their magazine.  They'll show a very low cut top, or short skirt, or backless number and describe it as being perfect for the office.  Or these crazy pants that are in my latest magazine (8/2011 #115):


which they describe as "these trousers are a real work of art.  The pencils legs end in wide hem ruffles! Watch out! When you're wearing these trousers you'll attract more attention than the sights."  No I didn't make that up, or add those exclamation points - that's just Burda being too funny for you.

But they did describe my latest finished project as being so quick and easy that you could cut it out and finish sewing it up in an afternoon, which turned out to be entirely accurate.  I made dress #116 from the 4/2008 issue, which funnily enough I bought the fabric when I was pregnant last time around meaning to make it then but didn't find time! If only I knew how quick it would take.  The pattern looks like this:


It's not a maternity pattern, but I thought that the gathering at the bust would lend itself nicely to stretch across a growing belly.  And I was right, the only modification I made was to grade out from a size 38 at the bust to a size 42 for the waistline, and this combined with a stretchy polyester knit fabric it fits swimmingly, with room to spare:





Although I must say if I wasn't pregnant I wouldn't be too impressed with the way this looks, the style of the dress could easily give the impression of a baby belly even if all you'd had was a good sized meal. 

This is a fairly simple style, with the bodice sewn separately to the front skirt, and the back a single piece cut on the fold.  Interestingly the depth of the v-neck is controlled by that gathered central piece which goes up and over the neckline and is sewn to the seam line of the bodice on the inside.  I made that flap a little bit longer so it didn't pull the v-neck down quite so low, although it's still a bit va va voom for me! But I have the *ahem* assets at the moment, so I may as well make the most of them while they're there.....

And thank you all for the congratulations on finishing a UFO, I guess you all share my sense of achievement on getting one finished! And while several of you marvelled at me keeping it for more than 10 years, I don't think it's the oldest thing in my UFO box (gulp!).  But I did have a bit of clean up, throwing out some UFOs in awful fabric that weren't worth finishing, and moving some others that are in nice fabric into the refashioning pile to make something better for Anna instead.  So now I only have a handful of UFOs leftover...

In response to the comments from the last post:

Connie (Grandma C) - you are so right, I am loving the maternity spanx (and loving asos.com for delivering within a few days for free shipping too!).  I think I may have gotten a size too big because they are firm but a little loose around the back waistband, but I'm sure I'll grow into them.  I can already feel the benefits of the support, because it doesn't feel like my belly is heaving from side to side when I walk.  Kimberly - I was worried about them putting pressure on my belly because I too feel nauseous when something is too tight around the waist, but these are just like firm pantyhose but with a super soft stretchy panel across the belly so it's all good.  In fact the only downside to the maternity spanx is that its made from pantyhose like material and not a silky finish like other shapewear, so I've found that unlined knit dresses tend to cling to them and gather between my legs as I walk.

Beebee - good point that not all accessories need a purpose, I didn't think of it from that point of view.  Although I guess them being called 'accessories' and not 'necessities' makes that clear doesn't it?!

Jean - those red shoes from the last post are my wedding shoes, well spotted.  Since I have so many pairs of shoes, and I look after my shoes I have quite a few pairs that I've only for many years.  In fact my winter boots are at least 10 years old, and I've only re-heeled them once and they're still going on strong.  As for this baby, we've decided on another surprise delivery so we still have a while to go to find out whether I get to sew more little dresses or whether it's time to start sewing little cargo shorts.

16 comments:

  1. You look lovely in this dress Kirsty (as ever!), it's a great success and I am sure we will see one or two more in the pipeline. I can't wait to see you make up the trousers, ha,ha,ha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely dress - I've always been a fan of prints like that. You look great, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely dress, and red is a great colour on you! You should wear it more often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This dress looks wonderful on you! You are a redhead that can definitely wear red. I love that you are making so many maternity clothes; I was not at all inspired to do so during my last pregnancy. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! This is such a nice dress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look great in this dress.

    And yes, I can confirm that it does look like a maternity dress when you are not pregnant. It certainly does not hide my round tummy!

    I made it in a bright print in a midi length, and despite its maternity look, I've worn it over at least four seasons.

    I've often thought about tacking the front pleat down rather than letting it hang loose, but haven't got around to it. I think that might make it more flattering when you are not pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love your version. It was the first knit dress I ever made and it certainly didn't turn out as nice. I should have lengthened the flap like you did because the neckline is really low. The neckline stretched out because I didn't reinforce it...in fact it's been sitting in my closet waiting for something to happen...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well... I must say, that you have inspired me to go thru my UFO/mending/refurbishing pile! So, today I found a couple dresses and a few other things that I will do something with! Thanks for the idea!
    The dress is right on... the color is great on you too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This dress is really lovely and you look gorgeous in it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks fantastic. I've always wanted to make that style when I was preggas. I just realised you'll be pregnant through summer... I felt like a beached whale, lol and my feet expanded and I went up half a size in shoes. Maxi dresses were fabulous during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful looking dress! I love the fabric - the red is such a lovely shade - you look wonderful in it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect design for a comfy dress.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The dress looks beautiful. What a great idea to turn it into a maternity dress.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your new dress. I don`t think that burda were joking when they said you would get lots of attention in those pants - interesting to see if anyone actually sews that pattern up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really admire the way you've been able to alter patterns to accommodate the baby bump. I was staggered by the poople pants when the magazine came out. I would attract looks if I wore them, but of the "there goes the crazy lady" kind.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cute as a maternity dress! I think i made this one as a top when it came out and it was a dismal failure. There's a similar Burda dress (of course can't recall date) that has a center front panel rather than tab that is good for non-maternity wear, if you're in the market later!

    ReplyDelete