small diversions

Monday 28 March 2011








Oh you guys are too funny - all that love for that fabric I so boldly declared to be ugly! Maybe my photos didn't convey how the colours match the colour of boogers and baby poo (sorry for being coarse). But a big part of the overall horribleness of the fabric is it's feel - it's a nasty polyester that has a scratchy feel, wrinkles if you look at it the wrong way and was so slippy and slidey it was difficult to sew with.

Anyway the dress is looking promising fitting wise, but I haven't progressed much further than cutting out all the pieces. Sadly I backed up my tonsillitis last week with another stomach bug over the weekend, so energy levels and enthusiasm for getting off the lounge have been rather low I must say.

I did manage to eek some sewing time in over the last week though to make some pants for Anna. It seems that Anna has sprung up another two inches overnight because all of her jeans and pants are now three quarter length, so what better reason than to use one of the Ottobre magazines I bought recently? I made the bootleg jeans from Ottobre 6/2010:



and what everyone says about Ottobre is so correct, the fit on these are much better than those I've made from the Big 4 pattern companies. The waistband sits near the waist, and not under the armpits, and the fit is trim and not too baggy. I liked these so much that I made three pairs! First up a pair of boring plain black corduroy ones which will be a good staple in the wardrobe of a messy little girl:

These are straight off the clothes line, hence the peg marks on the legs.


And then I made a pair in brown corduroy with purple polka dots. Seriously, at what other age could you wear polka dot pants and not look a little nutty?



Plus it's a good match for our dog, and you all know how much I love to be matchy matchy!


And for the third pair I refashioned them from a pair of wool/poly blend pants that someone gave to me that never fitted correctly, so instead of trying to alter them to fit me it was much easier just to cut them down to make a little bitty pair of pants instead. For these ones though I left off the back patch pocket, and bound the pocket edge with grosgrain ribbon to make them look a little dressier:



They were perfect to wear slouching around at the Australian Museum:


and for getting soaked in while 'feeling' the falling water!


I managed to make these quite quickly, probably about 1.5 hours for each start to finish. I took a shortcut by leaving off the fly shield - it's a nice detail but a little fiddly and not really necessary for kids pants. Also it makes things go quickly when you're not trying to fit around adult curves and solve the multitude of trouser fitting problems. However I did put some elastic in at the back waist to get a closer fit, especially as we have started toilet training and can hopefully get rid of the nappies soon.


I also made them extra long so I can let down the hem in case she keeps growing the way she has been. Someone told me once that the height a child is at two is half their adult height - Anna was about 90cm at her second birthday which means she'll be 1.8m/almost 6ft!. Not quite as tall as her dad but much taller than her mum....


ps. Samina - my wedding ring is back on my finger, I just try not to think about where it's been!

21 comments:

  1. Anna looks super cute and stylish in those pants. I'd love a pair of the polka dot corduroy pants for winter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those polka-dot pants are super-cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE polka dots. And matching the dog - now that is very important. Wonderful job on all the pants!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I especially adore the suit pant pair :)

    My height-when-I-was-two prediction wound up being an inch off, which is not too bad... However I'm hoping my younger daughter's is less accurate, otherwise she may not make five feet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all so adorable!!! I'll definitely be purchasing that magazine when my daughter gets bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's adorable! All 3 pairs are cue, but I love the refashioned pair! There is just something about grown up fabrics on little kids that I find totally irresistible. I'm glad you are loving your Ottobre!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. The pants are adorable. I can't decide whether I like the polka dots or the dressy ones more, though. They're both charming.

    2. Are Pull-Ups available in your corner of the world? They're wonderful for potty training.

    3. Glad your ring's back on. I was amused to see that my verification word for this post is "uncarat"!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable. My mom always said you measure girls at 18 mo and boys at 2 yrs (x2) for adult height. If that helps. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anna is styling for sure!
    Well nice thing is that when Anna does get to the height she will be... hopefully she will eat with a spoon and not fingers...be potty trained, sleep thru the night and maybe even have a job of her own! LoL...
    Good job mom... now it's on to sewing for you?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those pants are just too precious! No wonder you made several at once - super cute style and a great fit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your daughter is growing so fast. I remember sewing multiple pairs of pants when my boys hit growth spurts. The fabrics for girl clothes are so much more fun than boy clothes. I don't think I have ever sewn something using polka dot fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh.. Those pants are so darn cute, I can not decide which one is my favorite.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So very cute. I admire you for sewing so much for her. At the time my DD (12 now) was her age, I knew nothing about any pattern that was not one of the big 4. They were horrible fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know, they said I was going to be six feet tall for that reason, too, and even offered my mum treatment in the form of hormones so that I wouldn't be too tall for a girl (back in nineteen seventy-mumble)! She refused, and puberty stopped me in my tracks at 167cm.

    I *love* the polka dot pants!
    ~Sarah B

    ReplyDelete
  15. My height prediction was spot on, though I don't know if it came when I was 18 months or 2.

    I love the last pair, they're little dress pants! She can come with you to work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. She had me at 'feeling the falling water'. So cute!
    I think I'll use that in the future.
    -Linda

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those pants are so cute- especially in the second to last photo. Little hands in little pockets!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would love a pair of polka dot pants - what a pity I am not two!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wow, I love the polka dot pants! I would want to do some with custom patches - maybe flowers?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anna is a cool little fashionista!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love all the pants! The polka-dot ones are such fun!

    ReplyDelete