Seeing the good in the bad

Friday 15 January 2010
Is it just me, or is it universal that annoying things will more likely happen when you're sewing something white? Such as spilling your drink, a naughty pet sleeping on the project or like what I did earlier this week, pricking your finger and not noticing until after there are big splotches of red blood all over my newly finished blouse! On the brighter side (I'm trying hard to see the good in the bad this year) I used the few days that I needed to soak and wash the blouse to make a skirt to go with it, and this is what I came up:


The blouse is Burda 2/09 pattern 125:















I originally planned to make this in a crisp white cotton, but all the reviews over at Pattern Review recommend using a soft, drapey fabric so I've used a soft, thin white cotton shirting material from the stash instead. I think it works, although I still get a bit of puffy sleeve syndrome if I lift my arms up:



I guess I'll just have to stop standing around with my hands on my hips when I'm wearing this shirt! Maybe this shirt will make me less bossy..... And maybe I should set up the camera tripod straight too so my photos don't look so crooked.

I did have troubles with the sleeve band due to the typical BWOF instructions, and after finally figuring it out from the helpful reviews on pattern review I still gave up on it because mine looked messy. Plus they were really really wide bands. So I took them off, cut them in half width ways and just sewed them on as a single band without a button opening. It's not like I'll ever need to unbutton them, so I figure this is just as good. Although I see from this photo there's a bit of excess fabric at the front and back of the shirt, so I may take in the darts even more to get a closer fit.



For the skirt, I used Style 1932, which is a 1970s era full circle skirt pattern. I think it's pretty funny since it's obviously a 1970s version of a 50s style skirt, right down to the poodle applique on the skirt.

I made the blue version in the centre, but I still had to lop about 20cm off though, and I left off the pockets because of the fabric I used. However, I'm not overly happy with how it has turned out, because the fabric doesn't fall in even ripples around my body, rather it tends to gather at the seams, ie at the sides and the centre front/back which looks rather unflattering:




I was just putting away the left over fabric and the pattern when I realised what I had done: the plaid pattern is printed on the bias and the pattern requires the panels to be cut on the bias. I was trying so hard to match up the lines (which I failed in anyway) that I forgot to cut the skirt panels on the bias, so they are cut on the straight grain and I guess that's why it doesn't sit quite right. But there is a lot of fabric there in this skirt, so I may be able to salvage it by turning it into a boring old A-line style or the like - seeing the good in the bad yeah!

Well Anna is off to day care for three days a week starting next Monday, but I'm not back at work for another two weeks so I have a mini holiday from being a mum for a few days. It's nice to be wanted, but I reckon it's going to be great to have a bit of space too! We had an orientation at the centre yesterday and Anna had a few tears even though we were only there for 45 minutes. But once she settles in it will be great for her, we spend too much time alone together her and I, and the opportunity to mix with other kids and do structured activities is for the best I think.

So tune in next week, I plan to do lots of sewing and get a haircut and maybe have a whole day sleeping (well that bit will be boring for you but it will be great for me).

25 comments:

  1. I made the same blouse too, for my daughter. She left it in my room when she took off to Australia, so I'm wearing it too. I think the pattern deserves a solid fabric, the print with flowers does not make the best of it. Just my opinion.
    That will be a great change for both you and Anna! Sure you'll enjoy your sleep day:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE that blouse - must hunt up that issue of burda. I think the skirt is pretty fabulous, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous blouse, I am going to have to get that issue out. Also, great skirt. Enjoy your 2 weeks at home, can't wait to see what all you get sewn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everythign looks lovely. I would not get hung up on the skirt. It looks fine...... Keep it as is and move on to another sewing project! Perfection is over-rated! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this outfit! Both the blouse and skirt look great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of the best outfits I've seen in a while. The colors, the proportion of the big sleeve, small waist, big skirt, the skirt length, everything. I'm glad the blood came out of the blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did not even notice the way the folds on the skirt were hanging until you pointed it out! In fact, I was salivating with envy at how adorable it turned out!! The belt is a great touch too.
    I never sew or wear white for exactly that reason :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought your outfit looked fantastic! And I love your skirt - didn't notice the problem at all...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the whole outfit. It looks so well put together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. the blouse is very pretty and the style suits you to a "T". I really like the skirt like that and seriously unless you tell people, no one will notice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good idea to ease Anna into daycare.

    Don't laugh but your own saliva will get your blood out of fabric. I learned this from a woman who did bridal sewing and it really works.

    My daughter got a bloody nose and dripped all the way down the stairs. Yep, I made her spit on on every spot!

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think this is one of my favorite projects that you have made - I love the skirt - i am going to save this to favorites!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The blouse is cute! I really like the gathered area at the sleeves. Whether the skirt is your favorite or not.... the color is you all over! Really I think that it's great! We all do these type of things don't we? I just noticed that I sewed some pockets onto a project backwards(no it wasn't clothing). Guess I need to get out the seam ripper! Grrrr... always something!
    Even though you need your space... isn't it nice to know that Anna still feels like she needs you? Just wait til she goes to kindergarten and just says bye... and walks off! That made me cry... and it was my DH that it happened too! LoL... kids they need to grow and learn.... guess we do too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely on you! The flare of the skirt suits you nicely. Leave the skirt alone---it's fabulous just as it is! Correct me if I am wrong, but the plaid fabric appears to be a printed, and not a woven, plaid. If so, a printed plaid is usually impossible to match anyway. The whole outfit is charming, but to me the skirt is a very flattering style for you, matched or not, on grain or not. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like the sleeves you've made, that gathering is really pretty for you.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. That skirt is fabulous! That's what I said to myself as soon as I saw the first photo in your post. Please please please, leave it exactly as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree, leave the skirt. It looks great.
    At a time when I was sewing wedding gowns, I got in the habit of just sticking a piece of clear tape on my finger everytime I got a prick. Even though I'm out of that business I still do it, and it has saved me many times!
    Enjoy your "mommy time" (that is, the time while Anna is in DayCare). It helps to keep your sanity!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I also choose this blouse for my corporate wardrobe. I am still looking for good white shirting. I like Tessutis stock but am resisting the price.

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi kristy,
    Love the blouse and the skirt. Good luck with your mini holiday next week. Hope the tears are few and far between.
    Cheers
    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  20. The blouse is just wonderful.

    I love the skirt's fabric. I didn't notice that the skirt wasn't draping properly until you pointed it out. Honestly, it is not noticeable. But I'm sure it is to you, and it will drive you nuts if you don't re-do it. Really, though, I think it is a wonderful skirt as-is!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your blouse is really very pretty. I love the side view of the sleeve with all it's pleats. Very nice. Nice skirt too. Just believe that the folds in the skirt are exactly where they are supposed to be, and wear it proudly!

    ReplyDelete
  22. A beautiful outfit on you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have (had) that pattern, and I made it up twice in some poly shiny fabric. One was green and the other pinky/mauve - both patterned. Ah, the good old days :) Your outfit looks nice. I wouldn't worry too much about the folds. Enjoy your 2 weeks "holiday"

    ReplyDelete
  24. Can I say that it's nice to see you back in heels! And I like the outfit - the hanging issues on the skirt notwithstanding. I'm going to hold you to that lots of sewing thing...'cause I like your projects so much that I will be waiting for new inspiration! Enjoy your two weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. you look like you're ready to go back to work in that spiffy little outfit!

    ReplyDelete